Back with a new face - Sender Berlin - wywiad
Berlin techno duo Sender Berlin is back with a brand new brilliant album - "Unequal Arts". We talk about this long-awaited record with Sassy and HendriX.
- Sender Berlin is one of the few techno acts, whose had a luck to cooperate with John Peel. Was it a important meeting for you??
- Yes of course!!! John Peel visited us the first time in our studio at a point were we worked for the second album. He was looking for innovative musicians during a visit to Berlin in May 2000. The first live performance of Sender Berlin tracks was recorded afternoon and broadcast the same night as one of the BBC's famous John Peel sessions. At this time we didn't know John so well, also that he was so famous. We recognized it after the show because we got very, very positive feedback. In August 2002 John Peel invited us to present our second album "Gestern Heute Morgen" on his regular night in Fabric Club in London: Sender Berlin live then John Peel on the decks. A guaranteed step back in time. The filmed documentation of this night has been reworked for the new album "Unequal Arts". Also to say big thanks for this pleasure to have a second session and to remember John Peel.
- You are strong connected with Tresor club, whose was closed finally earlier this year. What memories will you save from this famous place?
- It's a very special place for us!!! We have been so many times at Tresor as a guest and to perform as Sender Berlin Live PA´s. We've got all experience and all kind of feelings. We have played around the world in so many clubs and we never found the same impressions like that vault. And now it's gone... but we looking forward. In respect and to remember this unique place you will find the second clip on the new album "Unequal Arts".
- Why did you decide to release your new album on your own label - unGleich - not on Tresor???
- Good question... We want to be free in all decisions like release date, format, the graphic stuff and last not least to profile our on label unGleich. It's not so easy to coordinate all with other labels especially if you have a own label and being an artist. That are two different sides or faces. Tresor or maybe other big label's would never pay a independent production like this.
- Your albums are released in three-years periods. Is it not too long for you?
- No, up to this time it was a good period. If we take a look back, 3 Sender Berlin longplayers and many 12" in six years... not so bad. And don't forget our side project Double X with two long players (last one Okt. 2004 - A:LIVE) on Kanzleramt. You have to know music is being one part of our face. But that's not all. We both are deep in too film cutting, graphic design and DVD Authoring. We love to do music but sometimes we have to work to get the money for rent, food and productions. But we promise for the 4 album we will be faster...
- "Spektrum Weltweit" was a pure techno masterpiece. On your new album you go more into tech-house territory. Why this style is more interesting for you at the present??
- Thanks for the flowers!!! Before and during the production we spent more time in different clubs here in town to know what's going on at the moment. What like the people to hear and what can we do without to break with all our music roots - to be back with a new face. Fresh and more open minded than ever!!!
- Your previous album - "Gestern Heute Morgen" - was a perfect hybrid of techno and dub. On tracks from "Unequal Arts" there are less elements of dub. Why??
- We want to reach a new level and during the production - we never got feelings to work on a dub track. But don't worry it's only on hold... This time we are closer to this what we hear around the day.
- There are a lot of great melodies on tracks from "Unequal Arts" in synths or bass parts. Why did you decide to push your music in this direction??
- We got older... ha, ha, ha and we would like to play at party's were we being as a guest. We want to move a step forward with the project. After both Tresor albums we thought to open the Sender Berlin sound completely... a bit less our Detroit and Dub roots.
- Where was the idea of put Jay Haze vocals in "Theory`s Dead" from??
- We know Jay Haze for such a long time, since 2000 and he is a good friend of our house. We contact him, he came over and we discuss what we would like to have. He wrote the lyrics and sang it spontaneous in to the system. We never have done a vocal track...that's our first one and we like to do more... For sure...
- "Bon Voyage" is an experiment with live jazz sounds. Do you not afraid that your techno fans will not accept that??
- Noooo... We guess to open the album it's a great track with a big surprise. It's still electronic music but goes in too a lovely direction, also to let the people know can be possible in electronic tunes - out of the deep vault. It show's what can be happening in the future.
- Why did you decide to release "Unequal Arts" in DualDisc format??
- We want to do something special for the new album. At first we thought about a CD for the new tunes and for bonus a DVD. We have recorded so many material the last five years on a Mini DV tape...the time was right to open our archive to show the people know what we have done in the past!!! But we felt not so comfortable to have two disc's!!! We found out that the DualDisc format is brand new in Europe and we like the CD flipside idea - a little like the old analog vinyl.
AUTHOR: PAWEL GZYL
PHOTO: STEFAN HEULZER
+ Lester Bowie - All The Magic / The One And Only / The 5th Power ; Art Ensemble of Chicago - Americans Swinging in Paris: The Pathe Sessions
+ Rova:Orchestrova - Electric Ascension
+ AMM - Norwich
+ Günter Müller / Jason Kahn/Christian Wolfarth - Drumming
+ Graham Halliwell - Recorded Delivery
+ Invisible Pyramid: Elegy Box
+ Mike Cooper - Metal Box
+ Peter Baumgartner / Christoph Schiller - Savagnieres
+ Tape - Mort Aux Vaches
+ Birgit Ulher / Lou Mallozzi/Michael Zerang - Landscape: recognizable
+ Mats Gustafsson / David Stackenas - Blues
+ Heathen Shame - Speed the Parting Guest
+ Nush Werchowska / Mathias Pontevia/Heddy Boubaker - Glotosifres
+ Renato Figoli - Ocho Al Puma
+ Franz Ferdinand - You Could Have It So Much Better
+ Gigolo Freak Show
+ Ake Hodell - Verbal Braiwash and Other Works
+ Kalacakra - Crawling to Lhasa
+ Ghost - Metamorphosis: Ghost Chronicles 1984-2004
+ Acid Mothers Temple & The Cosmic Inferno - Just Another Band from the Cosmic Inferno
+ Gigolo Showcase - P.Diddy - Jack U / Christopher Just - I'm A Disco Dancer - Remixes / Uhu - Constellation / Hell - Tragic Picture Show
+ Hanna Hartman - Longitude/Cratere
+ Hell - Grossenwahn 1992 - 2005 / Monotonie Durch Automation - NY Muscle Interpretationen
+ Innerstance.Beatbox - Your Eyes Are Like UFO`s, My Darling
+ Kone-R - Knob / I`m Dubious
+ LJ Kruzer - This Is How I Write
+ Lo-Fi Stereography
+ Alton Miller - Stories From Bohemia
+ Five Years Of Moon Harbour
+ Napsugar - Don't Blind Me
+ Editors - The Back Room
+ Octave One - Theory Of Everything
+ Savas Pascalidis - Relax Your Body
+ The Prodigy - Their Law - The Singles 1990 - 2005
+ Coloma - Dovetail
+ Box Jams
+ Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Howl
+ V/A - Afryka
+ Berkut - Zli Pryvyczky
+ Roman - So Ghost?
+ Safety Scissors - Tainted Lunch
+ Sender Berlin - Unequal Arts
+ Signaldrift - Set Design
+ Sofa Surfers - Sofa Surfers
+ Stardub - Cut & Paste
+ Static - Re Talking About Memories
+ The Timeout Drawer - Nowonmaid
+ Trio Exklusiv - International Standards
+ Wojczech - Sedimente
+ Jar - Jar
+ Iwan Kirczuk - Spadczyna Zahinuuszych Wiosak
+ Julia Doszna - Immigrant
+ Bratskład - Bratosfera/Rapdarmo
+ Flit - Swit Takyj...
+ TNMK & Schid Side - Jazzy - Live in 44
+ Kulgrinda - Prusu Giesmes
+ AuIi - Sendzirdeju
+ Neo.Pop 05
+ lil - Epiphenomenon
+ Richard Bartz - Big
- - - - - - - - -
+ RICH HALLEY TRIO - Mountains and Plains
+ SU LYN - Clay Angels
+ IN FLAGRANTI - Wronger Than Anyone Else
+ THE JUAN MACLEAN - Less Than Human ; DELIA GONZALEZ / GAVIN RUSSOM - The Days of Mars
+ PHILIP SAMARTZIS / GUNTER MULLER / VOICE CRACK - Wireless_Within ; GUNTER MULLER / STEINBRUCHEL - Perspectives
+ MARC HELLNER - Marriages
+ KPTMICHIGAN - KptMichigan
+ VARIOUS ARTISTS - How to Kill The DJ [Part Two] ; VARIOUS ARTISTS - ROJO - Tachan - CD Compilation by Nosordo / Glasvocht - Nosordo - We're for the Unknown, Unbought & Unbossed ; PULSEPROGRAMMING - Tulsa for One Second - Remix Project
+ RUBIN STEINER - Drum Major
+ DIJF SANDERS - To Be a Bob
+ STEVE RODEN - Oder Delias or Butterflies
+ MAZEN KERBAJ / SHARIF SEHNAOUI / CHRISTINE SEHNAOUI / INGAR ZACH - Rouba 3 i 5 ; MAZEN KERBAJ - BRT VRT ZRT KRT
+ VORPAL - An Incomplete Guide to Vorpal Music
+ SANHEDOLIN - Manjo icchi wa muko ; KEIJI HAINO - Konokehai fujirareteru hajimarini
+ JOHN LINDBERG QUARTET- Winter Birds
+ LULA CORTES e ZE RAMALHO- Paebiru
+ ALEXANDER TUCKER - Old Fog
+ THE LAPPETITES - Before the Libretto
+ ASWEFALL - Bleed ; AFETY SCISSORS - Tainted Lunch
+ JACKIE-O MOTHERFUCKER - Fig. 5 / Liberation
+ DR. ISRAEL - Inna City Pressure ; DR. ISRAEL PRESENTS DREADTONE INTERNATIONAL - Patterns of War
+ RAN BLAKE / DAVID FABRIS - Indian Winter
+ DEATH IN VEGAS - FabricLive 23 ; DIPLO - FabricLive 24
+ TIM BERNE'S BLOODCOUNT - Memory Select - The Paris Concert III ; MARC JOHNSON'S RIGHT BRAIN PATROL - Magic Labyrinth ; PAUL MOTIAN TRIO - At The Village Vanguard
+ HERIBERT FRIEDL - Bradycard
+ GERRY HEMINGWAY QUINTET - Double Blues Crossing
+ BAIKONOUR - For the Lonely Hearts of the Cosmos
+ CONFUTATIS - Built in Anger
+ DREKKA - Extractioning ; ANNELIES MONSERE - Helder
+ VARIOUS ARTISTS - Invisible Pyramid: Elegy Box
+ SKALPEL - Konfusion
+ FME - FREE MUSIC ENSEMBLE - Cuts
+ MATTHEW SHIPP - One
+ MATS GUSTAFSSON - Slide
+ STUNT ROCK - This is Stunt Rock Volume Three
+ TOD DOCKSTADER / DAVID LEE MYERS - Bijou
+ THE VILLAGE ORCHESTRA - Et In Arcadia Ego
- - - - - - - - -
WYWIADY / RELACJE
+ Back with a new face - Sender Berlin - wywiad